News from Joe's Life
There once was a barber named Ware
Who was sadly allergic to hair.
When customers called,
Unless they were bald,
He would sneeze them right out of the chair.
--- Ogden Nash
- Well, it's that time of the year. In theory, it is a
fun time full of meaning and social activity. I must be a
Scrooge. I would be happier without the stress this season
- Our son, Bart, passed his California General Electrician
Certification test. Congratualtions to Bart!
- I put a few new links in my computing
links page. If you want to see them, search on "sed", and
you will get the old and new links about "sed".
- I upgraded to Slackware 13.37. (Here's a link to the Slackware
- I've been building a little, on my Curtis Robin, and I've
been going to meetings of the First Weedwacker
- I've even been flying my Wanderer occasionally.
- I've been staying busy, but not by working on this
website! I've posted a few new links and a few new
- Here's what I have been doing:
- I integrated a Linux box into our home entertainment
area. Now we can watch TV, internet movies, or
- I got Skype working (with video) on my main Linux box and
on Debbie's computer. It's fun. Part of that was
downloading a new Linux Skype release.
- I upgraded my rsync-based backup system with some software
improvements plus two new, one-terabyte hard drives in USB
- I migrated my daily computing to Slackware 13.1.
I've had it on my box for a long time, but had to work out
- One of those details (see above) was getting a component
of my SAM system
(called "bree") working. I did it.
- Another detail was my e-mail software. I had been
using kmail, but it doesn't work well in Slackware 13.1.
So I migrated to Thunderbird (which works great!).
- I made improvements to my CD player software (called
"Moan"). Moan is included with my SAM.
- I bought an MP3 player and learned how to use it. I
wrote some tools to manage putting songs on it.
- I got my personal bookkeeping (checkbook, etc) up to
- I made a "Joe's Boot Disk" (or JBD) that
runs as a "live cd" and has on it my bookkeeping tools and
data. I did this so Debbie could do bookkeeping too even
without having Linux installed.
- I downloaded and installed the new Adobe Reader 9. Ah,
progress.  New data formats require new software.
The good news is that it was free!
- I made some improvements to my Fvwm2 desktop.
Mainly, I made a bunch of new MiniButtons to make it easier to
invoke my commonly used apps.
- I discovered that "links -g" works great in my new
Slackware 13.1. Is this because I'm using a different
- I reverted to "classic Yahoo", as it works with the Links
- I learned how to better use USB sound devices, and I
managed to get my old PPA 6channel USB sound adapter to work
(after about three years of trying).
- On break again. It has been a full year since my
last entry. I made a few revisions to this site in the
links area. Looks like I've also made some revisions to my
- Hello. I'm on break again. I'm still
adjusting to the new on-break schedule. Also I'm resting a
bit after (finally) getting the new Perry web site on-line (I'm
webmaster for Perry Elementary School again). I'll report
back with news about how my break is going. Today is the
first day of my first of six weeks off.
- Here's a link to the Perry web site:
- Howdy. I've been resting, because I've been on a
four-week break from work. That's because I work for a
year-round school. I've also been working on my three
websites and, especially, I've been working on the software
methods that I use to make and maintain them.
- It was a good break. I spent some time in a nearby park
almost every week-day morning: I walked or swung. I
also spent some time doing home bookkeeping and cleaning my
- I will have to schedule some garage door work. Hmmm, I
go back to work on Monday. The weather is nice out, so I
don't have any good excuses. I'll pick a Saturday and do
it. It will be fun!.
- Our son, Bart, is recovering from his mishap in a mosh
- I've made a little progress on this website. I also
made a website for the string quartet to which I (humbly)
belong You can see the quartet web site at
- I've been working on a website that lives on my camera's
flash memory stick. That may sound a bit odd. It is
another of my humble inventions. It helps me to organize,
view and share the pictures that I take. I need to write
about it on my http://rosevearsoftware.com website.
- I have not made any progress on painting the house or
repairing the garage door lately.
- OK, the website is shaping up a little. I've been
adding pictures, and there is a page of links. You may have
noticed that this site replaces my previous website which for now
is still available at
- Ya, hi. Joe here. Hope you like the website.